Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The iPhone 4 Security Flaw and Podcast Subscription on iDevices

While browsing the web for the latest tech news, I stumbled upon a MacRumors forum on a latest security flaw on the iPhone 4 (not sure if previous iPhones have the same issue). It's to do with access to one's phonebook even if the device is passcode locked.
MacRumors forum user 'jordand321' first reported (here) that a passcode locked iPhone 4 (jailbroken or not) will allow you to access the phonebook, which includes making calls, sharing contact information via email and even listening to visual voicemail messages. This can be done by entering the 'Emergency Call' mode from the lock screen, dialing any number and quickly pressing the sleep/wake button. This brings up the phonebook without ever entering the passcode and allows access to the information stored there. It works, I have tried it myself. Thanks jordand321!

What a lot of people might not know is how to get out of the phonebook after you've tried to gain access. This can be done by dialing a number and quickly hanging up which brings up the 'Enter Passcode' screen. While on the phonebook screen, the sleep/wake button and the home button are inactivated. No amount of pushing those buttons will get you out of the phonebook.

In response to growing concerns, Apple has gone on to announce that the next iOS update (4.2) due in November, will indeed fix this flaw. This is a sensitive issue in my opinion. Passcodes and passwords are supposed to protect one's information. Apparently not! No one knows when the next iOS update (4.2) will be out. As Apple says, 'sometime this November'. November is here and I hope this security issue will prompt Apple to release the update a lot sooner than anticipated. Just because I want to be able to have multitasking on my iPad and of course, get the flaw fixed.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and think it's a very good way to get the latest news and views. First of all it's free and getting it from iTunes is very easy. All you do is subscribe to any podcast, be it audio or video, and it automatically downloads new episodes when they are available. Right? Wrong! Here's why. There is no way of subscribing to Podcasts from an iDevice. The only way you can do it is through iTunes on a computer and then syncing your device with it. We all know syncing can be time consuming sometimes. Since I've gotten my iPad, my use of the computer (be it my windows laptop or mac mini) has drastically been reduced. I do almost everything on my iPad and love it. Until I recently realized that I can't subscribe to Podcasts directly from it.

No 'Subscribe' button in Podcasts on iOS devices


I tried it on my iPhone 4 too but to no avail. Then I read some forums and reports here and there and it's true. You can't subscribe to Podcasts on an iDevice. I don't know why or how this got overlooked and passed under the radar of iOS developers. Maybe it's for a reason, who knows? Unless this issue is addressed the only way to subscribe will be on a computer. For podcast lovers like myself this is really disappointing and I hope it gets fixed soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment