Search This Blog

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Going Green with Solar-powered Devices

Whether you believe global warming is a real thing or not, using solar-powered devices doesn't hurt anyone. In fact there are many benefits. Solar energy is free to use for all. Although solar panels have been expensive in the past, prices are always coming down, making devices that use solar power much more affordable. From solar-panel-installed backpacks to calculators, they are all around us. Let me tell you about one such device that I have been using for the past 2 months now and absolutely adore.

It's the Nextar NXBT-002 Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit.



Nextar NXBT-002 Bluetooth Handsfree Car Kit

This device was featured on eBay's Daily Deal about a couple of months ago for $18.99 by buy.com (which I absolutely love and shop at all the time). I purchased it as soon as I saw the price. Similar products ranged from $40 to $100 at the time and the price tag on this one was absolutely magnetic. A few days later it arrived in the mail. Included in the package was a quick start guide that helped me set this thing up with my iPhone 4 in no time. Once paired with the iPhone 4 it works like a perfect soulmate.

There are two ways to install it in the car; either using the visor clip or a suction mount which attaches it to the windshield. The advantage of using the suction mount is it exposes the solar panel on the back to the sun which constantly charges the device on the go. A car charger which uses its USB interface is also included. Complete technical details are provided by Nextar here.

The great thing about the NXBT-002 is that the battery holds charge for a long time. The main reason for that is the solar panel which replenishes battery power each time it comes in contact with sunlight. I have charged this thing only once since I got it using the USB cable and two months later it still works showing 2 out of 3 bars at the moment. I use it every time I'm in driving which is in keeping with the 'cell phone driving law' here in California.

Solar panel on the Nextar NXBT-002

The sound is loud and clear on both ends of a telephonic conversation. The controls are a no-brainer too. Just one button to answer/hang-up. It automatically connects to my iPhone 4 when I enter my car. I, however, do turn it off when I leave the car to preserve the battery power. But every time I'm in my car it's ready to be turned on and get going all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment