Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Coby CSMP88: A 3D Soundbar Speaker System Reviewed

I've been in the market for a compact yet good sounding speaker system for a while now. I wanted something not too expensive either. I have a Bose Wave Music System hooked to my Mac Mini at my workstation and I love the sound. Getting another one wasn't practical and besides, at $500, it is way too expensive for my budget. I did some research, visited my local electronics stores and talked to a few people about my options. Then, I stumbled upon the Coby CSMP88 Multimedia 3D Soundbar Speaker System. Here is a quick review.


Coby CSMP88: Multimedia 3D Soundbar Speaker System


I must admit, my first thought when I read 'Coby' was, "Hmmm!" I wasn't sure how good this product would be. Coby, to me, felt like a cheaper house-brand that you find at stores like Target and Wal-Mart. Frankly, I wasn't willing to spend $100 on a product from Coby. I had once purchased an MP3 player made by Coby from Target and ended up returning it within a few days. The design just felt cheap but it did teach me not to fall for the 'SALE' tag at Target. It was only $20 for that 2GB player but even so.

Then I read the reviews of the Coby CSMP88. I was surprised to see 4 to 5 stars on most reviews all over the internet. I also heard Leo Laporte of TWiT fame mention how good this speaker sounded for the price you pay and that was all I needed to give it a try. Although I like to try something out before I buy it, I went to Amazon and purchased the speaker system, knowing I could return it if I wasn't pleased.

After I received the speaker the next day I hooked it up to my bedroom TV via the basic red and white RCA cable. It doesn't have optical or coaxial inputs. Just analogs. As soon as I turned it on, WOW! For a speaker that size and for $100 it sounded fantastic. There is a 3D mode which you can turn off or on which really showcases how awesome this speaker is. Turn that thing off and it sounds like a pair of tin cans. But turn it on and whoa! What a difference! The speaker is supposed to give out 6.1 surround sound and I believe it. There are speakers built in to the system which are placed on the sides of the box along with the front. Watching movies really illustrates the surround effect. All this through an analog connection.

Here are some technical specifications. There are two stereo input modes which can be switched using the remote. Input 1 is RCA while Input 2 supports a 3.5mm Analog jack. I have connected my Belkin Bluetooth Audio Adapter to the 3.5mm input so I can listen to my music from my iPhone/iPad wirelessly. The speaker output has six individual satellite speakers with an integrated subwoofer (which makes it a 6.1 system). The total output power comes in at 80W.

A list of features from the manufacturer includes (full list at www.cobyusa.com):
  • Complete surround experience
  • 3D Sound powered by Sonic emotion
  • Advanced wavefield synthesis eliminates dead zones
The bottom line after using this speaker system for almost a month now is that this speaker is an excellent buy for someone looking for a compact yet inexpensive system that will provide above-average sound. Watching movies and listening to music in a small room becomes quite a pleasure. The design in very good and you can tell that some serious thought went into this product. It has a classy finish and will not stick out like a sore thumb because it looks good and doesn't take up too much space either. So if you're on the lookout for an audio solution for a small room, I'd strongly recommend the Coby CSMP88 Multimedia 3D Soundbar Speaker System.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the best blog I have been through all this day.
    Vizio SoundBar

    ReplyDelete
  2. Iown one and the remote gave up. Seems as if I'm now screwed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! The remote always worked poorly and now doesn't work at all. 'Coby' changed products, re-emerged as a "new" entity, divorcing themselves of any liability of completing existing warranty claims or service on the previous COBY line. A frequent ploy. Declare "we're a NEW company, and have no connection to the former company. DISGUSTING!

      Delete