Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

iOS Car Integration

I currently have an after-market Sony car stereo system installed in my car and it gets the job done. The biggest reason why I went out and got an after-market stereo put in was to be able to have iPod integration. My car stereo didn't come with it and it doesn't have a USB port either. The Sony system works well and I connect my iPhone to it each time I'm in the car to either play songs in my iPod, Pandora or the SiriusXM Satellite Radio app.


iOS drink coasters
Recently, there was a report showing a new BMW model with iPod integration built in. The navigation screen showed iOS apps, allowed texting and twitter updates without touching your phone, played music etc. Having iOS integration in the car would really complete the circle in terms of being mobile with your iOS device wherever you go. Additionally, texting or even handling your cell phone while driving is against the law in most states across the U.S. and having the essential features of your phone at your disposal while driving without breaking any laws would be great.

There are YouTube videos of people putting their iPads in their car's dashboards and I've thought about doing that but it doesn't seem feasible to me. It would be pretty expensive to have a custom-made dashboard just to accommodate the iPad. I still have my first generation iPad which I could put in my car but I don't think I'll be able to afford the custom job. The best solution therefore is to wait for an iOS integrated car stereo system. However, if you search for one these at this very moment, there aren't any out there.

Not to despair though. Pioneer, has announced just the type of stereo I am looking for. There is no date for a release nor is there a price point but from the sketchy details that are available it looks like a double-DIN (for those who understand car tech) stereo with an LCD screen. There is no disk drive, so no CDs (who uses those anyways?), but there may be iOS-style icons. There are speculations of Apple getting involved in the matter if the icons resemble iOS icons in any way, but for now it is a stereo system to look forward to for myself. More details when it becomes available. Stay connected!

No comments:

Post a Comment