Search This Blog

Friday, October 22, 2010

My First Mac

I have been a PC user for all my life. Right from the early days of monochrome monitors to the current high definition displays. The 21st century has been all about the resurgence of Apple as a player in the computer industry and beyond. My first Apple purchase was the 30GB iPod Video Classic. I bought this thing a few weeks after it was introduced. Still have it and love it. It hooks on really easily to any big screen TV or heavy duty music system. 

A friend of mine had a Mac Book and I remember using it the first time. Great graphics, photos looked fantastic, and the layout was very user friendly. Everything about Apple is appealing; it always has been. More so now with the boom of portable devices at the turn of the decade. I needed to jump on the Apple train. I needed to get a Mac, my first one. And I did.

After a lot of deliberation I got the 320GB Mac Mini 2.4 a few days ago. Really easy to set up; connected it through the HDMI port to my 46-inch Toshiba HDTV. I pretty much bought this to be used as a living room computer with the vision of being able to browse the internet, play my videos, music, and everything else a computer can do, from the comfort of the couch. 

Accessories: The HDMI cables I ordered on eBay arrived just in time yesterday. Got three 5' cables for $7.97. Excellent value considering each one sells for about $10 at the local Central Computers. Used one of the cables to plug the Mac Mini into the TV. 

My Logitech Wireless Mouse couldn't find a better use than this. I used it to help startup the Mac for the first time as it needs a plugged in mouse to startup for the first time. And, what good is a computer without a keyboard. For this I used my Logitech Wireless Keyboard which is intended for a Nintendo Wii System. I had bought this on eBay for $17. Gotta love eBay!
So these three connections on the back of the Mac and along with the power cable, I started it up and within about 10 minutes of setting preferences and registering with Apple the beauty of a Mac was brought forth on the 46-inch screen of the Toshiba. Wow! My first Mac. The cheapest one on the market and for the purpose it is supposed to serve I think I got a great deal at Fry's... $629 plus tax (compared to $699 at the Apple Store or BestBuy). 

No comments:

Post a Comment