Search This Blog

Thursday, December 16, 2010

NiZn Rechargeable Batteries: Eco-Friendly Technology

The Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Magic Mouse are very good devices but they consume battery power like there's no tomorrow. There is no doubt that using rechargeable batteries is the way to go as it is less expensive than using alkaline batteries and more 'green'. I came across these new Nickel Zinc rechargeable AA size batteries on Amazon and they promise to be even greener than regular rechargeable NiMH ones.

PowerGenix NiZn Rechargeable Batteries
The PowerGenix NiZn Rechargeable Batteries are available for purchase on Amazon for less than $15 for a set of 4 with a Fast Charger. They output a 1.6 volts compared to 1.5 volts obtained from NiMH batteries. Also, they are 100% recyclable and non-toxic. There is a 1-year replacement warranty against manufacturing defects. Although the batteries and charger are made in China, PowerGenix is based in San Diego, CA.

I've been using the NiZn batteries in my keyboard and mouse since I got them a couple of weeks ago. I have seen an immediate difference in their life compared to throwaway batteries. Although I won't know until a few more weeks if they are better than the NiMH rechargeable batteries I used before, it already looks like these ones will last longer. I use my keyboard and mouse exclusively for all my computers (using Synergy KM/Plus) and usually the batteries in my mouse run out after about 3 to 4 weeks. If these NiZn batteries can last even a week longer than that it would make it worth it.

Apple sells rechargeable AA batteries for $29 (pack of 6 plus charger) and I did contemplate getting those but for one-third the price (they were on sale for $9.99 on Black Friday), granted only for 4 batteries, I felt I should give these NiZn batteries a try. Every little thing to help reduce our carbon footprint helps.

More information about NiZn technology can be found on PowerGenix's website at www.powergenix.com. They ship for free with 2-day shipping on Amazon if you are an Amazon Prime customer.

No comments:

Post a Comment