Search This Blog

Friday, March 11, 2011

My iPad 2 buying experience

Yes it's March 11, 2011! But before this iPad 2 launch day arrived we were all hit by the shocking news about the 8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan which triggered Tsunamis and warnings in 20 different countries worldwide. A couple of the harbors here in California were affected from the wave of destruction that originated a whole Pacific Ocean across. It's been a day full of mixed emotions and the loss of life in Japan is a terrible thing. Unfortunately this day will be remembered for all the wrong reasons.

The earthquake made the launch of the iPad 2 a little subdued for me but I was still excited to get mine.
It was announced that online sales would be available on Apple.com at 1 a.m. PST and that in-store sales would start only at 5 p.m. local time nationwide. For whatever reasons (at the time) there were no pre-orders allowed. It now makes sense why Apple did this and I'll come to it later.

iPad 2 is here (Picture from apple.com)
So I waited for 1 a.m. to arrive but tried logging in on Apple's website every now and then from midnight onwards. Surprisingly (or not, knowing Apple), the iPad 2 went on sale well before 1 a.m.; 12:45 a.m. to be exact. After stumbling through the buying process I managed to purchase a 32GB Black Wi-Fi iPad 2 but was disappointed when I found out that it would be shipped in 3-5 business days. That puts my estimated date of receipt of the iPad 2 between March 18 and 25. Bummer! Nonetheless, I was glad I could put in my order since I was sure that the wait times would be ridiculously long if I had waited a little longer. Rightfully so! At the moment it's been 20 hours since the iPad 2 went on sale online and the wait times are already 2-3 weeks. I didn't want to wait that long.

I knew the iPad 2 would be available at authorized resellers like Wal-Mart, Best Buy, AT&T and Verizon stores apart from the Apple retail store but was aware of the long lines I would have to endure to get my hands on one. But I still decided to take a chance and went to my local Best Buy earlier this evening. I wasn't surprised to see a very long line, probably about 100 people long. Forget it! There were reports already that not many iPad 2s were made available at such stores; there was a shortage in supply. Makes sense why Apple didn't want people to pre-order. There was no way they would be able to keep up with demand. This thing is already a hit! I'm sure it will shatter any sales records that the first generation iPad set. Apple was expected to sell 600,000 iPad 2s at launch.

Luckily for me there is a Wal-Mart right next to the Best Buy. And I couldn't see any long lines outside the store. So I decided to try my luck there. The store didn't look busy at all but when I reached the electronics section there were about 15-20 people in line already. Then the sales rep came around giving numbered tickets, so I fell in line. I was 19th in line. We asked her how many iPad 2s they had for sale and she showed us a chart which showed 23 in stock. Only 23, and that too different models. There were only 2 black 32 gig models so it was going to be highly unlikely for me to get one. So I thought, what if I get a chance to buy a white one? Nah! I don't want a white one. What if they have a 16 gig or 64 gig black one? Ooh! 16 gigs may be too less considering HD video editing in iMovie on the iPad 2.

Then the sales girl started going around asking each one which model they wanted, starting with the first guy in line. By the time she got to me these were my choices:

1. White 16GB Wi-Fi
2. White 32GB Wi-Fi
3. White 32GB 3G
4. Black 64GB Wi-Fi
5. White 64GB Wi-Fi

A quick thought later it was decided. I was indeed getting the Black 64GB Wi-Fi model. For $100 more I was getting double the storage from what I initially wanted. I had thought this through previously and wasn't willing to pay extra for that 64GB model but human nature took over. I changed my mind and so ended up buying the 64GB model for $767.15 (including Tax). I avoided paying that CA recycling fee by buying at Wal-Mart as opposed to Apple or Best Buy. Works for me!

I have already unboxed my iPad 2 and synced it with iTunes. Tried my hand at GarageBand and I love it. Safari indeed loads up faster than my first generation iPad and the sound seems a little louder too. It's amazing how Apple has managed to maintain the same battery life on this model while making it ridiculously slim. I am pretty satisfied right now and excited to get used to the iPad 2. As for my online order which is pending with Apple.com, I have decided to let it be. I'll try selling the 32GB model on eBay if I can. Otherwise I'll just return it once I get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment