Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I'm back! What did I miss?

I'm finally back from my eagerly awaited trip to Southeast Asia and boy did I have a good time! It was mainly meant to be a leisurely vacation and it turned out great. I made it back to the US just in time for Super Bowl XLV. I'm happy the Packers beat the Steelers, although it really didn't mean much to me (my 49ers... maybe next year?).

My vacation was designed to get away from my daily routine. I didn't get on the internet a lot, except to check my mail and pay my bills. So I must have missed a lot of tech over the last month.
Although I tried to catch up on the latest, it was hard sometimes. Not all the places I visited had reliable internet access. I must add, however, that my Case Logic Vertical Sling bag worked great as a carry-on. I had my 11" MacBook Air, iPad and a couple of magazines in it, along with the necessary wires to charge the devices. That's all I had with me on the flight. All the rest was checked in. That bag is a great travel companion. However, I might consider a slightly bigger bag the next time because I didn't have much room for any duty-free shopping, and believe me I saw some crazy gadgets at the Incheon Airport in South Korea.

CES 2011 happened while I was gone and so did Macworld. Although I haven't heard much talk about Macworld, CES seemed like a show for Tablets and 3D technology. I've seen the Motorola Xoom in reports and most people say it's an iPad-challenger. HP's touchpad is also in the news. I'm really looking at getting an Android/non-iOS tablet. The Xoom really looks promising but only time will tell. Look what happened to the Samsung Galaxy Tab. It was a big bust. Unless the user interface of the device smoothens out like the iPad, I don't think anything will compare.

Then there are the rumors about the iPad 2 and iPhone 5. The iPad 2 looks to be in line for an April launch. That would be awesome. Just a couple of months to go! Whether I get one or not will depend hugely on the price point and what makes it different from the first generation iPad, which is truly a revolutionary device by the way. But I'm interested in seeing what Apple does with the iPad 2. With Steve Jobs on medical leave and Tim Cook in charge, it will be interesting to see how people react to the change at the next keynote. I mean, let's face it, we all have gotten used to seeing Jobs get the job done in his blue jeans. I hope he has a speedy recovery because some people have suggested a blow to the stocks and Apple in general in his absence. Doubt it!

The iPhone 5 promises more improvements compared to the iPad 2. I mean this thing could be much thinner and faster than the iPhone 4. I am happy with my iPhone 4 but when the 5 comes out and if AT&T says I'm eligible for an upgrade by paying $199, it will be hard to turn down.

Let's hope this first quarter of 2011 kicks off the year to a great start technologically. An Android tablet will be my first big buy of the year (unless the iPad 2 looks too hard to resist). Hopefully I'll be able to blog as often as I did before my trip. I'm still getting over the jet lag but keep checking back for updates. I'll have some interesting gadgets to review for sure. Till then, a belated happy new year and peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment