Search This Blog

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Case Logic XNTM4 e-Sling: A Bag for the 11.6-inch MacBook Air

I can't even think about traveling anywhere without my gadgets with me. One of the main reasons for buying the 11.6-inch MacBook Air few days ago was my trip to Asia next month. There have been reports that the TSA doesn't require this 11.6-inch wonder to be removed from the bag while going through security checks at the airport, unlike all other laptops/notebooks/netbooks (call it what you may). Having a good carry-on bag which will house all the stuff you'll need while aboard is very essential. It needs to be well padded, non-bulky and have enough room for every piece of tech you can't travel without. And if the bag can also serve as an every day bag, that's a huge plus. In order to find such a multi-functional bag, I went looking for one and I think I may have found it.

It's the Case Logic XNTM4 e-Sling which I purchased on Amazon for $23.99.

Case Logic XNTM4 e-Sling
Not a bad price for a bag that holds a lot while maintaining its small size. This vertical sling bag is made for "7 to 12-inch Netbooks". The dimensions come in at 11.8" x 9.1" x 1.3".

Made of 100% Polyester, this bag is black in color with a red inner lining. The shoulder strap is adjustable and long enough to make the bag hang just below the waistline entirely. The covering flap stays shut with the help of powerful magnets which means no velcro; velcro can sometimes disturb those around you during an overnight flight. The flap also has one zippered compartment on the front.
Zippered flap pocket is big enough for a passport


Open the flap and the first thing you see is an open pouch that isn't zippered but is easily accessible on opening the flap. The bag has two main compartments, both zippered. The forward or anterior compartment is padded and has a series of smaller pockets/pouches lining both walls. These provide storage for things like cables, headphones, battery packs, chargers, pens etc. There is an inner zippered compartment in here which is about a third the length of the entire bag. The back or posterior compartment is also padded and is where the 11.6-inch MacBook Air, or a similar computer, fits in perfectly. And last but not least, the back of the bag has one more pouch which isn't zippered either but is a good place for a magazine or documents.

First zippered compartment is padded with little pockets
Handling the bag without anything in it gives you a good idea on how nicely padded it is. The padding is soft to touch and definitely provides good protection for your devices. The stitching around the edges and zippers look strong and neat at the same time. A Case Logic logo tag on one side pretty much signatures the brand. My initial thoughts... it's a good one!

When I travel I like to have one laptop (MacBook Air), my iPad, iPhone 4, iPod nano, battery backup (New Trent Battery Pack), headphones, a book/magazine, and of course my passport, keys and e-tickets in my carry-on luggage.

11.6-inch MacBook Air fits perfectly!
Over the last couple of years I've been carrying a roller bag which holds a lot, additionally including a set of clothes and my JVC Everio Camcorder. I have realized that I don't need my camcorder with me anymore as the iPhone 4 takes good quality video and I can survive without that extra set of clothes in case of an emergency (knocks on wood) while on a layover or in case of lost luggage. I mean, buying new set of clothes won't cost me an arm and a leg by any means. Having to pull a big roller suitcase and a carry-on at the same time can be tricky too. I think this vertical sling bag will make things easy by helping me downsize my travel baggage. And, I am not sure how often they do this but some airlines have begun weighing carry-on luggage and we all know how dealing with overweight bags can go at the airport.
The laptop compartment is well padded

Apart from being a travel companion, I feel the Case Logic XNTM4 will be great as an every day bag too. It has enough room to fit document folders along with your computer. The padded compartments will at least give you the peace of mind of having your gizmo well protected.

The Case Logic XNTM4 with a 11.6-inch MacBook Air & an iPad
There are other similar bags available at the moment but none of them come cheap. I have looked high and low for a nice bag and this one definitely meets my needs. Of course, individual opinions will vary and depending on your requirements you can at least be assured of a wide choice to choose from. But if price is a factor for you, like myself, I have no doubt that the Case Logic XNTM4 should be in the reckoning to win your prized dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment